A Letter I Will Never Send

I should have written this sooner, maybe then I would have stopped looking for you in other people and finally let you go. I don't know why I held on to you for as long as I did, you were always so heavily present in my words and in the back of my mind but I know now that I was naive for trying to make you stay when all you wanted was to leave. I, however, continued to do so, hoping that you would finally realise that I was everything you wanted. I wasn't though. I don't know if things have changed since then or if you will actually read this but I will not stick around to find out.

I let you hurt me over and over and still, even without apologizing, I forgave you. I wish I listened to those who told me you were toxic, you were like a ticking time bomb but I became self destructive. I omitted pieces of me to make you feel comfortable but I am no longer afraid of my truth and I refuse to let you extinguish my fire just because you cannot stand the heat.

1 comment:

  1. These words are sadly oh too familiar: "I let you hurt me over and over and still, even without apologizing, I forgave you." I have felt them too many times, ignored them way too much. Thanks for this. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete