Behind Green Eyes

Ari Eastman is wonderful and inspirational to say the very least. Her words, that stay with you long after you have read the last line of a piece, always leave you wanting more. It's no wonder she makes me want to be a better writer. One that is honest and open and isn't afraid to spill her heart out. She also has a kind of je ne sais quoi about her and comes across as someone you have known for ever. Her humor, wisdom and "I don't give a fuck" attitude are just more reasons to be utterly obsessed. She is a force to be reckoned with, the girl behind green eyes, kicking off a new segment on Wannabe Moonchild where I interview people that I adore.

Full Name: Ari Eastman

Star Sign: Pisces

Age: 24

Where are you as you answer these questions? 
In my favorite place, also known as my bed.

What gets you out of bed in the morning?
My friendship with my mother. The desire to make my father proud. My dog licking my face so that I quite literally have to get up.

If you could be a mystical creature what would it be?
A Pegasus. Or any kind of flying horse.

What do you do to stay motivated?
I read a lot of books that inspire me to work harder at my own art. 

You're in need of a getaway, where are you going?
Believe it or not, Los Angeles.

What do you love most about writing?
I can say the things I haven't found the strength to say out loud yet.

Who are your favourite authors?
Joyce Maynard, Junot Diaz, Cheryl Strayed, Emily Dickinson and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

What is the best piece of advice you have ever received or given? 
Don't become consumed with what they want you to be.

It's Sunday evening and you're baking, what is in the oven?
Something that someone else made because I hate baking.

What is your biggest achievement to date?
I won Miss California Teen in 2010. Which felt like the biggest deal in the world at the time. But even though many would consider it less impressive, having my poetry team at UCLA make semi-finals at CUPSI (College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational) in 2014 felt even greater. 

If you could be a part of any show, for writing scripts or acting, which one would it be?
I'd love to write for a brand new Netflix original.

What do you see as your best trait or quality?
Either my compassion or openness.

Do you have any tattoos?
Yes, I currently have five.

What is something people don't know about you?
I have a scar behind my right ear from surgery as a child. 

How would you like to be remembered?
As someone who genuinely cared. 

What is your biggest pet peeve?
When people don't wash their hands before eating.

You're dancing alone in a room, what song is playing?
Depends on the mood. "Singin' In The Rain" is always a cheerful go-to, but as soon as Drake releases new stuff it's game over.

What was the last compliment you gave?
"You're such a good friend."

Are there any movies that you could watch over and over and still love?
An Education.

What are your favourite flowers?
I've always liked pansies. Which is kind of funny considering my favorite poet, Andrea Gibson, would later write a book called "Pansy".

I hear you are working on a new book, are there any details that you can share?
Yeah, definitely! I'm really excited about it. It'll be my third poetry collection and it's definitely a bit darker than my previous two. This one details loss, family grief, and survival. It's going to released in print, digital, and special edition. I've poured serious heart and sweat into this and cannot wait for people to hold a piece of me in their hands.

Where do you see yourself in ten years time?
With a few more books, maybe performing at colleges or high schools. Potentially married, starting a family. But who knows?

What is your idea of happiness?
Not worrying about it.

If your life was a movie who would play you?
Popular answer: Zooey Deschanel. Personal answer: Carey Mulligan.

What has been inspiring you lately?
A poet by the name Yena Sharma Purmasir.

When was the last time you felt most alive?
When a boy I really like was kissing me. 

What are you most looking forward to?
Everything.

              

2 comments:

  1. I love the questions you chose to ask, they really give you a good idea of her as a person. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same... I think to many people worry about being happy all the time, but really we are all going to be happy whenever it's the right time!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete